Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Traveling from Fairfax to Boston


We are off again. 

You know the saying, when life hands you lemons?  Rachel injured her eye last Thursday and it got worse until Saturday when we had to call the eye Dr.  She gave Rachel some advice and said to come in on Monday.  Rachel was supposed to work on Monday but her eye was bothering her so much that she was compliant and if that was not enough, working Sunday convinced her that she had to take the day off even if it was not on the Dr’s advice.  We got her in to see the Dr. yesterday first thing yesterday and it turns out it was nothing serious and that it is nearly healed so we left early since her eye could rest in the car or at home.

 

I still can’t believe it but it took Rachel telling me that we could leave a little early Monday morning to realize it even though I could have put things together as early as Saturday afternoon, duh…  Had I realized it sooner, I would have spent less time monkeying with our new GPS Mom and Dad got us as a combined birthday/anniversary gift and more time prepping to leave because we could have left as early as 9:30 or 10.  Thankfully I had done a lot of packing already but I still had a few hours of stuff that needed to be done before we could leave so we wound up leaving the area at about 12:30 or 1 and viola, we had lemon-aid eve if I was a little slow to recognize it.

The trip went pretty smooth up until New York when the GPS said to keep right and I exited right in the rat’s nest they call a street system.  There is a distinction I know but OMG there were four choices and cars were coming and going faster than on old mixing bowl and I did not have time to study the GPS before I had to make the choice which immediately tacked 15 minutes onto our trip time according to the GPS which was an underestimate.  I had to exercise what driving skill I have to step-up to the New Yorkers’ confidence which boarders on aggression.  The trick seemed to be that you have to just go where you want while keeping your head on a swivel watching for someone who is not stopping for you.

If New Yorkers showed me the meaning of aggression the Connecticutites showed me the meaning of haste.  When we left VA it was really frustrating that so many on the highway were content to not even meet the speed limit but that was not an issue in CT.  After correcting the error we hit a parkway that where I think I saw the CT governor personally standing on the side of the road and bolting accelerators to the floorboards.  Shortly after we left the city we were up to 75 miles per hour and stayed about there for LONG ways, regardless of what the posted limit was.  If you are thinking that 75 is not that fast for a highway, we were on something somewhat like Rockcreek Pkwy and the speed limit varied from 55 down to 40.  40?!?!, that is go to jail fast however everyone, I really do mean everyone, was going no slower than 65.  Glad I was not the tortoise in that situation…

Remember how I mentioned that I spent a lot time figuring out our new GPS on Sunday, you may have wondered what there was to figure out, you just tell it where you want to go and then it navigates you there…  I discovered a whole community of GPS fans that collect something called POIs (points of interest).  A POI file is a collection of points of interest on a common topic.  We put POI files on there for camp sites, key NPS scenic areas and one for the Triple D show (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.)  This enabled us to punch one button on our GPS and see the distance and direction to all the Triple D sites in the area and gave us the contact info as well as what food was featured on the show, how cool is that! 

So we picked a place and then promptly learned that you have to use the phone number or web-site they give you to figure out if they are open.  Super Weenie was not which was a disappointment.  We actually ate at place called Merritt Canteen,  Connecticut and it was great.  I had a chili dog with a little more sauerkraut than I would usually take but that is easy to set aside while Rachel had the crab cakes.  We split a large clam chowder and I got deep fried brownie bites.  The clam chowder was surprisingly sweet, certainly home-made and really enjoyable and was Rachel’s favorite part of the meal while mine was the deep fried brownie bites.  The deep fried brownie bites were so good that it is worth saying their whole name every time.  In fact, they were so crispy on the outside and sweat and gooey on the inside I suspect they may have discovered real Care Bears and started farming them for their meat.

The rest of the trip was pretty smooth though I may be receiving a very expensive portrait of Rachel and I in the mail from CT when I cut across an area that specifically said you could not cut across.  I am normally the kind of driver who does not do things that are that blatant however traffic came to a standstill however the HOV 2 lanes were wide open.  Yeah, I know I am only justifying bad behavior, but I figure it saved us at least 30 minutes, perhaps up to an hour and it got us to the Hilton Rachel booked us ( 70 dollar night normally 219) through Priceline on the road about 9:30. 

Today, I am looking forward to going to the Sam Adam’s brew tour at 10 (yeah I know it is early to drink, no excuses) and then we are off to see the swan boats, eat some pizza Rachel thinks will make me flip, see the Mapparium to go inside a giant illuminated glass globe and eat a cheap lobster dinner at another place Rachel found.  Hopefully we are done soon enough that was can make it a bit north of the city and find a decent camp site before it gets too dark…

No comments:

Post a Comment